Tonight as I finished reading through Luke, something non-instructive stood out to me. Usually when I read, God instructs and convicts me through His word. This time, it was really just a "oh yeah" kind of moment. Something that is so simple, yet I'm still so much in awe over it:
Luke 23 (39-43)
Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, "If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us." But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, "Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong." Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."
I guess I am just in awe over God's grace and mercy for us, and his ability to forgive so quickly if we just truly in our hearts believe.
- He respected God (Do you not even fear God).
- He knew his own sin (under the same condemnation . . . we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds).
- He knew Jesus (this Man has done nothing wrong).
- He called out to Jesus (he said to Jesus).
- He called out to Jesus as Lord (he said to Jesus, "Lord . . .").
- He believed Jesus was who Jesus said He was (remember me when You come into Your kingdom).
- He believed the promise of everlasting life from Jesus
And that's it. That's the start of a great relationship with Christ. Tonight as I study God's word I am feeling so blessed and refreshed. I really felt like I was supposed to share all of this--a few days ago I was reading Luke 21... and it made me feel like His coming is going to be soon. This is very real, and I want to be ready!
Song I'm meditating on this week: God of This City